Monday, May 30, 2011

Hotmail and Loaded Attachments

I wrote this fun little blog entry many months ago to highlight a concern I had about online storage. I don't use it, but I thought about bringing this back and ask if you have a nifty supply of online megabytes at your disposal? Let me know in the comments! ^_^ I saw the end, and realized I had no idea why I added that; it was funny though.

Recently, MSN Hotmail users were given the luxury of sending friends and co-workers up to 10GB worth of data to attach to emails using their internet service. You could even send 10,000 megabytes worth of glamourous photos of you to your significant other, or if you are one of the lucky few already you can receive an equally disproportionate amount of images from your significant other. I'm not sure how I should feel about this...

For Hotmail to provide their users with this new service is quite the responsibility. Ahead of that, however, you must establish a relationship with someone so that you can afford to send 10GB of your personal, digital portraits in an email without facing possible prosecution, the end of a promising long-term relationship, and/or public embarrassment and scrutiny. She would need to be a really good friend in order to receive such a present, if looking at 10GB worth of you is her thing. As for me, my problem wouldn't be finding someone to send so many photos to. No, it is just the opposite!

What do you do when a girl you know suddenly attaches 10GB worth of pictures in an email? Note, there is nothing distasteful or embarrassing about the photos that would turn you off, because the pair of you are great friends, but to send so many professional yet unrequested photos of her in various situations would involve a high degree of trust. Now, its possible to bust the servers of Microsoft with such an email, but let's assume the transaction went well and the email is in your inbox folder. Best case scenario: You thank her for sending such wonderful photos, and you might start making some wonderful Photoshop art with them (computer screensavers, wallpapers, high-contrast portraits, Liechtenstein-inspired montages, etc.). However, she just sent you 10GB of her BEST stuff, and just a 'thank you' will not suffice! The ball is in your court to do something at least 10GB worth her effort. Worst case scenario: You don't like the photos, not because of the subject, but because they are blurry or the camera had ketchup stains on the lens or something. How do you inform her of this? Besides, do you want to see the photos she didn't send? How would she take that? She paid serious coin or spent serious time going through the photos, and now she is about to receive some bad news...!

I was never in a position to receive a gift of any kind from any woman that liked me that way. If such a woman exists, I think I would be happier with the genuine article in my arms than 10GB worth of digital photographs on my computer. My guess is, if she exists, she wouldn't send anything that would keep me plastered to the computer screen. She would probably want me to do work or something...! (Did I just type that?)

Now, for something totally random:

No comments:

Post a Comment