Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Ankle EXPLODED!

Before and after I play a game of baseball, or in this case "slo-pitch", I shower. It rained all afternoon, and there wasn't time to shower before my game. I figured I would get enough of a shower during, and I did.

What do you do when you are losing by a giant score, and the other team continues to hit homeruns and take extra bases? I play in a social league during the spring here in Mississauga, so when teams run up the score it can be difficult to take. In my life, I experienced the event on both sides, and while you should always try your best and compete there comes a time when you should dial it down. The defense to that would be if you gave an inch, the opponent will take the lead! That happened to a friend of mine last year, when he sat on the bench in the last inning and watched what once was a safe 25-run lead evaporate in less than a half hour of mistake-filled baseball. The competitor inside me would run on the field, against my coach's wishes, and like Luongo coming in for Brodeur shut the door, kill the rally, and end the game! My friend felt the same way, except when he told me that story he was smiling...?

All you can do is your best, no matter which side you are on. I changed my batting stance to mimic Jose Bautista: Bat over my head, left heel up, arms up, looking straight at the ball. For once, I made contact; at all three plate appearances, as a matter of fact. Finally, there were no holes in my swing, yet in my first two at-bats I came over the top of the ball. Perhaps it was the rain, or my eagerness, but I hit sharp grounders each time. Nevertheless, I ran hard - too hard, and beat out each throw. Finishing 3-or-3 with one run scored is good, but the satisfaction of doing exceedingly better what you thought you could, in spite of the difficult situation, is better. INSERT GRATUITOUS JOSE BAUTISTA HIGHLIGHT HERE:

I came home after the game, and my Mom's first question was if we won the game. Later, after I dried off and tossed my dirty white baseball pants in the washing machine with detergent and a cup's worth of Oxy Clean, I said we did not. I echo the refrain of most of my teammates when I say it would be nice to win, and while it is NEVER alright to lose you can learn just as much if not more about character and pride in performance. I also learned who is super competitive on my team, and who not to approach after a game when they are miles ahead of everyone else on the walkway back to the parking lot o_O I don't want to name any names, but it is good to have people to care just a little bit more so to keep things in perspective; at least are getting better.

Then there are those that are a little miffed at the scoreline: If Don Cherry was there, he would be appalled, too. I had the opportunity to coach a summer league team last year, and I warned my team against running up scores because somehow "the Karma of the Game" returns the favour in kind. If it was another sport like hockey, football, or basketball I would take exception, but there is little you can do aside from doing your best to mitigate individual achievement. Their team hit the ball well all game; you shrug it off, and move on. Most importantly, it's a social league: If it was the end of the world, I might care a little bit more about what was happening on the field. I'm going to work tomorrow with a swollen ankle, a runny nose, and possible pneumonia, and I will forget everything the day before took place. What remains with you is the character and willpower you require each and every day. Right, Jose Bautista? ^_^

Oh, by the way, I took a ball off my right ankle. It is quite swollen, and all attempts to keep it elevated and refrain from walking around on it failed o_O

If you wish to help with my swollen ankle, send money and various forms of PayPal credit to use on shop.mlb.com to my email address so I can purchase much needed personalized, authentic Major League Baseball gear. I must finish collecting ROYALS and PIRATES gear, and start acquiring ANGELS and ATHLETICS paraphernalia. Thanks! ^_^

1 comment:

  1. For more baseball blogging stuff; check out "Hits and Errors"!

    pwhitsanderrors.blogspot.com

    This post will be on that site, too ^_^

    ReplyDelete