Tuesday, November 15, 2011

She is Right Over There: Meeting Danielle Todd

I walked into Chapters last Sunday afternoon and spotted someone sitting behind a keyboard in the main foyer. I'm not a big fan of staring or acting like a deer in the headlights, so I waddle to the left near the magazine rack prevents a pile-up by the front doors so not to block everyone behind me. At that moment, this conversation is going on in my brain:

"Who's that?"
"That's...Danielle Todd."
"What?"
"Danielle Todd."
"MySpace Danielle Todd?"
"Yes."
"YouTube Danielle Todd?"
"Yes."
"Why is she here?"
"I don't know!"

The Chapters at the busiest shopping center in Mississauga doesn't get too many visitors, but a special appearance by Danielle Todd, one of Canada's newest and brightest young musical talents, should draw a fair share of attention. To tell the truth, there were not that many people stopping to listen or pick up an album at the time.

After picking up a copy of Lacrosse Magazine, and a short visit to the American History section in Chapters, which shares a shelf with "Wicca and Witchcraft", I return to the foyer and the girl from Guelph is still there.

"That was a nice song."
"Yea..."
"How come no one else thinks so?"
"Because they are all shopping or busy, or something."
"Oh."
"Yea, she's finished."
"...I'm going to buy a CD."
"What?"
"I'm going over there."
"They will just let you do that? What about security?"
"No one tackled me yet, and I'm halfway across the aisle."
"Don't do it! They are going to deck you from the weak side like Lawrence Taylor!"
"I'm doing this!"
"They evicted a couple whose baby wouldn't stop crying last month; just imagine what will happen to you!"
"I'm doing it!"
"Ah, I can't watch!"



The stack of compact discs were right next to the keyboard, so she watched me as I reached for one of the discs. Although it was a wacky question to ask, I asked her if it was alright to take one. She laughed and said yes; so far so good, and nobody tackled anyone. I did notice on her album her hair was shorter in the picture than it was in real life; she thought it was funny that I would notice.

"Oh dear, there he goes being awkward again."
"Such a sad, strange, little man..."

After buying her CD and my monthly lacrosse magazine, we exchanged smiles before I left Chapters that day. All in all a good day, and really good music to listen to on a Sunday drive through my hometown ^_^

If you ever have a chance to check her out online, via MySpace, or if you know her music, then it is worth the listen. Not unlike following "The Nearly Deads", I like following musicians when they are just starting out, and Danielle has the talent to attract some attention. Hopefully she makes it, because she seems like a really nice person.

"That wasn't so bad. ^_^"
"What?!"

By the way, here is Danielle's MySpace and YouTube links ^_^ She is also on Twitter under the username @Danielle_Todd. My name on Twitter is @PhilHollywood, in case you were wondering as well...you wouldn't happen to be Danielle Todd reading this, would you? What? Oh wait, I thought I heard someone say "Yes" there...? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Love it! What a great article. I agree wholeheartedly - she is very talented AND a very nice person. I'm hoping she goes far too!

    ReplyDelete