Friday, August 12, 2011

Why I Am Single

No one likes rejection, so when rejection occurs one may associate that with the world crashing down around them. When it happens, those being rejected internalize it: He/she is the only person on earth with their heart ripped out of them, and no one else knows what it is like. It is possible some readers know that feeling too well, and there are a precious few who can recall each and every rejection. Now, the "end of the world" did not occur as of yet, praise God, and the sun still rises in the east. A rejection just occurred and the five stages of loss are about to set in: Defiance, Anger, Fear, Bargainy, and Acceptance. Whether an encounter with these stages is imminent or already underway, please consider the following examples of what rejection looks like in the life of the author. It is helpful to get burdens and sorrows out of the system; this will show every person suffered similar setbacks, and that things could be worse.
  1. I met a girl at a sports store about a year ago. Along with being kind and considerate, she was really attractive. About a month into our friendship, I asked her out, but she refused. She was "kind of" in a relationship, but she didn't want to mess with things; I didn't want to be the 'home wrecking ball'  type, so I left it at that. Nevertheless, I held out a fragment of hope that while she was unsure, there was still a chance for us. Months passed by, and it was the beginning of spring. I did not see her for some time, and I wanted her to know I was still thought about her. so being the idiot I am I bought her flowers. I knew PINK was her favourite colour, so I had a boxed arrangement of pink flowers sent to her workplace. I left my phone number and tweet name on the card in case she wanted to reach me. Days turned to weeks, and weeks became months before I entered the store one afternoon. Five minutes in, one of her bosses, who I never met before, walked up to me and said "Hey, you are the guy who sent <GIRL'S NAME HERE> those flowers! Hey, EVERYBODY, this is the guy who sent those flowers to  <GIRL'S NAME HERE>!" Needless to say it was embarrassing, but I did feel good that she got the flowers and she liked them a lot. As time passed, I realized something about the situation was amiss: Technically, her boss told me she liked the gift: She didn't call the number, tweet my name, or tell me to my face. Instead, someone else broke the news to me several weeks later. Up until that point, I almost forgot I sent them. So, we didn't really see each other much after that, if at all. I try to stay away from meeting up with staffpeople while they work.
  2. Many years ago, I did make the cardinal mistake of professing love for someone in an email! I did not want to corner and embarrass the girl I was attracted to, so I wrote a letter and emailed it to her. She was quite surprised, but I messed up in the delivery. If she felt the same way, the relationship would not be sustainable because I already said I loved her, and then asked her out on a date. Usually, dating comes before the infamous "L" word, so I was taking a giant leap and an even greater risk, on top of making the greatest mistake ever. The email did take her off guard, as it came out of the blue, and she had no idea I felt that way about her. She responded she didn't feel the same way, and I couldn't blame her: We weren't really close, and I am socially awkward. To this day we are friends, and while I do care about her as any friend would, we are not BFFs; we may see each other from time to time, but that's about it.
There are dozens of similar stories from the past fifteen years of searching about risktaking, epic failures in delivery, and blinding stupidity. If what these stories teach is that someone out there is worse off, and never reached the level of most readers, if not all. There is still overall health to consider, along with family, friends, and if you are a Christian, then the relationship with Jesus Christ whose love flows unceasingly and transmits into all actions and relationships with others.

There are many reasons to quit, but infinitely many more reasons to keep moving forward, for you are not alone.

1 comment:

  1. Not bad enough, then why not post your anonymous story in the comments section?

    ReplyDelete