Friday, August 5, 2011

Volleyball Intimidation

What is your gimmick? What unique thing gets you psyched up to play a mean game of volleyball with your friends?

Otherwise known as intimidation tactics, gimmicks are the product of learning the rules of the game, and then bending those rules. I have only one gimmick in volleyball, and it served me well for the past twenty years: The "Foot Over Half Court" Gimmick.

When it comes time to stand in the front row of any volleyball game, whether winning or losing, or with serve or returning, I stand right at the net, bend my knees, and stand with one foot over the line before every serve. Then, as the server tosses the ball into the air, I quickly scoot back into position. Over the years, most didn't notice, and those who did only said a couple words but no one took any action. So, the gimmick was less about intimidation, and more about annoying the other team with my brazen disregard for the lines of the volleyball court.

All that changed last year when someone from a church in Oakville I sometimes visit became really vocal about my infraction. I didn't think people at a church pickup game would become enraged at my overstep gimmick! I did not play volleyball since then, yet some friends in Brampton invited me to play volleyball with them. Will the natural competitor make an appearance, and cross the boundary of good sportsmanship? If so, will anyone notice? If they notice, will they run up my chest, dance on my head for a half hour, and then run straight down my back? Do I have life insurance?

Perhaps, to be on the safe side, I will stand and watch from the safety of the sidelines. I can step on any line I wish there ^_^ Just don't step on any toes o_O I don't know where that came from -_-

No comments:

Post a Comment