Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nintendo 64 Memories

I'm shopping for a new N64 console because my old one died a year ago due to inactivity. I searched through my old collection of games like Mario Kart 64, Starfox 64, and Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer, and decided to check if I still had the "old magic".

I also remember those other games I used to hate like Snowboard Kids and Snowboard Kids 2: Aside from Contra, they are the most broken games of all-time. In a race against the computer, in any level, at any stage in a race, the moment your character moves into first place he is hit with every mind-numbing and time-wasting attack you can think of. If your character is not a snowman, then it is suddenly passed by a computer character with a hidden boost.

  1. "Infinite Mushrooms" Computer Cheat: You can tell the computer has it in for you when this occurs three seconds after you pass a computer character: They suddenly appear ahead of you without aid of a power-up. This is more prevalent in video games, in which the settings are set to high difficulty.
  2. "The World Hates Me!" Computer Cheat: Otherwise known as the "Second Item" computer cheat where, not only do the computer characters boost past you, but all of them simultaneously hit with every kind of power-up imaginable. Snowboard kids was notorious for this, and caused many a tantrum >_<;

I spent a lot of time playing video games, and I could not imagine then being where I am now, not just in the business sense, but physically as well. I could discuss my social standing in high school, or lack thereof, but that was only one of many factors that played into early obesity. Friends may call it "being chubby", but I was a complete slouch; according to Momzo, I am still a slouch about some things, but I was HUGE back then.

Video games helped me "escape" my HUGE body and become someone else. A person others could depend on to save the day or win the big race. In terms of productivity, I fell behind and I am working to catch up to those younger than me in that regard. Socially speaking, there are some sins, which while they are forgiven, will never be forgotten and serve as reminders of how empty life can be if you refuse to make an effort and hide within creature comforts.

It would be nice to see if I can beat my old records in Star Wars Racer, and see if the five-time City Champion can make it six. Where are you at, Tanya? ^_^ There you are! (Phil finds his old red N64 Controller with old Zeon stickers in a box of old video games)

No comments:

Post a Comment