Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Davy Jones 1945 - 2012

Sources say, DAVID "Davy" JONES passed away from a heart attack, he was 66 (CNN)
The first time I heard of the Monkees coincided with the first time I ever watched MTV! o_O

Yea, I know! o_O

Our family drove north to Huntsville to a new resort development called Deerhurst Resort. No, I'm not receiving kickbacks from Deerhurst; my journalistic integrity is still intact (lies, lies, lies, lies, lies). Anyway, we spent the week up there, and one afternoon while our parents went out to one of the parents' events my sister found an old sixties' show called the Monkees: John, Paul, George, and Ringo (What?). Oh yeah... o_O

Every afternoon at 5:30pm that week we would sit in front of the television and watch the Monkees sing and get into all sorts of hilarious hi-jinx, but I noticed the lead singer of the group was not only a good actor, but a nice singer as well. Davy Jones was his name; I thought it was a typo: Davy without an 'e'. So, you can understand that when I heard he passed away today my first memory was sitting in that Deerhurst hotel room with my sisters, watching the little English dude singing along with my favourite Monkees tune of all-time. "I'm a Believer" is right up there, but nothing can compare to this next tune. Although I last heard the song back in nineteen ninety something or other, I can still say the lyrics with a ridiculous amount of accuracy. Nevertheless I couldn't match the melodious, subtle tones of Davy Jones, or would want to.

RIP Davy Jones.


No comments:

Post a Comment