Tuesday, September 13, 2011

There Is No Title

My friend Jeff posted his video on his Facebook page. I remembered him from the "Spartacus" miniseries, but to see him in 21st century street clothes was unfamiliar to me. I clicked on the link, and saw this movie (THIS ISN'T REALLY FOR KIDS. IT'S A SPOOF OF A SHOOT 'EM UP VIDEO GAME FROM THE PREVIOUS DECADE). It was the first Freddie Wong video I ever watched, and although many more Freddiew movies hit YouTube since then, this one remains my favourite. So, when I discovered this morning that Andy Whitfield passed away, I was upset and contemplative as well. Among other things, I discovered he was born on what would eventually be my birthdate only eight years afterward (July 17th).

Since I began blogging on "The Franchise", the big split into many blogs two years ago, or when I harnessed the power of Twitter to get my musings global the subject of death is still an unspoken subject. Perhaps Brittani Louise Taylor came the closest when she spoke about her recently deceased father earlier this year, but no one talked about death occurring to someone in the YouTube or Twitter community. What would happen to the global community should someone we love, respect, or admire could no longer upload or tweet because their time had come? How would we remember them? How would we mourn? What would be their legacy?

I don't have an answer for those or any questions rising from this blog; I'm just putting it out there. I don't know what I would do should something happen to CTFxC, nevertheless those in the "culture of watching" should pause the video and think. While we watch their lives play out before us, what happens to the lives we live? Would anyone remember us? Would anyone mourn? What would be our legacy?

From what I read about Andy Whitfield, he lived a full life. He had a blast while he was on planet Earth, and he brought a youthful enthusiasm to each project he participated in; that is the same love and enthusiasm which flowed into the lives of his family and friends. Possibly the best way to remember him is to seize every moment, and make it count like Andy did while he was still with us. It may not involve guest starring in a Freddie Wong special, or battling insane blood-thirsty gladiators in a spectacle of Roman sport, but it will still count for something.

People may remember him as "Spartacus", but to those who knew him best he was always "Andy". His legacy of love and enthusiasm is yet to be buried. RIP Andy Whitfield 1974 - 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment