Monday, September 26, 2011

Classic Post - AIRBORNE: Remembering Lindsay


Exactly one year ago I lost a dear friend of mine in a freak car accident. She battled hard for days afterward before succumbing to her injuries on September 29th, 2010.It took me one week to write up something in her memory, not just because I never did something like it before, but she played a part in getting me to come out of my shell, and actually converse with people. As a matter of fact, I started "Just Phil" with this blog entry almost one year ago. I am writing another entry to Lindsay Tamminga just now, but in the meantime I want to share with you what this lively, witty, and wonderful young woman meant to my life.

Isn't it rich? Aren't we a pair? Me here at last on the ground, and you in mid-air.

I last saw Lindsay Tamminga in person seven years ago. Our church youth group went to AIRBORNE trampoline place to the west of Erin Mills, and when it was her turn to bounce on the trampoline she jumped really high. She leapt so high that she almost touched the ceiling! This was incredible when you consider she was a few feet shorter than me, and I couldn't reach that high.

If you ever saw her smile, then you know how much you felt like smiling, too. If you were standing in the corner of the room, she would make you a part of the group discussion; if it was me though, she would order me to contribute, and most of time I would.

Before she quit Facebook because it was "time-consuming", we would chat a little bit about our life and times. From her pictures, she seemed very happy with her family and her friends. I remember getting a notice of uploaded pictures of her trip with friends up to Wasaga beach, and looking at a girl enjoying a small paper plate of french fries and wondering how happy she must seem. Just like that girl at Airborne so many years before. I remembered another picture of her with her family at the LAC in Mississauga. Family was always important to her, and she did not mind showing off her cool parents. Her dad rode into the church parking lot one night on his motorcycle, and I remember being very, VERY afraid of him. She was low-key about the motorcycle, and she said there was nothing to be afraid of. I took her advice and before the night was through I was able to talk to Mr. Tamminga about motorcycle stuff. She even had a red motorcycle jacket; I thought it was neat.

If there is something I learned from her is that independence is nothing without family. Friends are good, too, but the best friends should be part of your family as well. It is important to remember how precious each moment must be, and why we never forget where we come from as we move forward. I doubt I will ever meet someone like her again, but I hope I will someday, and she will still be wearing that patented smile.

To the family and friends of Lindsay Tamminga, who knew her best, I send my heartfelt condolences. Words cannot adequately express how sorrowful I am about the news of Lindsay's departure. My family and I continue to have you in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment