Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Logging Off: In Memoriam of Steve Jobs

Pardon the lack of prose and proper grammar, but I received some news that upset me. Steve Jobs, the co-founder of Apple, technology giant and trend-setting computer wizard passed away today at the age of 56. I do not have a personal story of meeting him, going to an Apple event, or standing in line to await the arrival of and purchase the latest Apple product as introduced by the turtleneck wearing inventive genius. I didn't know his birthdate until today, which shows how much of a tech geek I am (February 24, 1955 - October 5, 2011). you pause for a moment and look around from where you are, however, you can see or hear the influence of Steve Jobs everywhere. I was in my car driving back to my house from the coffee shop: Here I can list some of the technology Steve Jobs and Apple influenced during his brief time on Earth.

  1. iPod music player
  2. Computer laptop
  3. Interac
  4. Electronic cash register
  5. Automated traffic signals
  6. Remote car starters
  7. Auxiliary cable to connect iPod to automobile speakers
  8. Cell phone
  9. Twitter
  10. Facebook
I could go on, and I'm sure I missed a ton of examples, nevertheless in one car ride these are just some of the examples of how this man shaped our life in the last twenty years. I could go on, and explain how these inventions shaped my life, but more learned men and women could spin together better sentences about the man without the letter 'e' than I could with all the letters of the alphabet, and all the time in the world. I wouldn't do that...

There is one person, who knew Steve Jobs better than I ever could, and when I heard of the late Steve Jobs' passing I immediately thought of her, because she loved him so much and he meant the world to her. If you know her by sight, then you probably know her iconic name as well:




iJustine made me cry only twice in my life; this is the second. I hate seeing her cry because her crying makes me cry, and when all I can do is watch her cry it makes me feel worse because there is nothing I can do. Don't you see the irony about this unfortunate circumstance? Steve Jobs and Apple, and Bill Gates and Microsoft made the world a smaller place with the technology they invented, but in circumstances such as this we remember how truly distant we are from each other. We are so close, but really so far away, and it was Steve Jobs' mission in life to bring us a little bit closer together. I'm so confident that I am willing to believe Steve Jobs was working on an application to give someone a hug who really needed it, even if he/she was half a world away, but he's not here to see that through.


In the end, and all alone they are gadgets, trinkets, and toys, but in the hands of people who really care about each other, love each other, and unify the world they help in making us a powerful people. That should be Steve Jobs' legacy: To unite the peoples of the world, or at least make the world just a little bit smaller. To think it all started with a simple computer in 1977.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Steve Jobs, his co-workers and employees at Apple, the geniuses at his store, and his many fans and supporters around the world.

In case you are reading this, iJustine: (((((HUG)))))

The Canadaian Broadcasting Corporation released a statement upon the death of Steve Jobs earlier today: Here is the link to the web page.

No comments:

Post a Comment