Thursday, May 3, 2012

Living on the Edge: Vlogging From Work

Hi!

If you read the title, then you know why I'm speaking short sentences today ^_^ I'm blogging from the office computer; although work for the day is almost wrapped up, the boss is in the next office over and I'm blogging here LOL

Why do we enjoy taking risks so much? The heightened senses, the short sentence structure, the raised blood pressure, and goosebumps percolating next to the afternoon coffee mug are all signs we are flirting with danger, when all signs point to an alternate, safer direction. Alas, safety doesn't give us the thrills and near spills risk-taking can.

I suppose there are good risks to take: You talking to that girl over there, you hoping that guy over there doesn't suddenly stand up from his seat and walk the length of the room to talk to you, and you eating that last slice of pizza two hours before your spinning class may not have disastrous consequences should you fail or flunk out of spinning class. However, there are obvious risks that, if taken, are just plain stupid.

I don't need to list them for you, nor can I with the boss next door o_O It would be easy to write "don't do it" to whatever you are thinking about doing that is unsafe, but there are enough people in your life (or at least, I hope so) telling you that already. Therefore, let's consider a little morality play: Imagine a world where everyone acted in secrecy about everything good or bad they decide to do o_O I am imagining people tiptoing to work, getting in the door at exactly the same time, and the removal of all doors everywhere. Yes, you guessed it: Zero privacy! It seems ridiculous, but in the world of facebook everything, and Google satellites tracking your every move on this planet it is not far off. Alright, now consider the opposite where everyone did not act in secrecy about every decision they make. Yes, you put to death the out in the open sins of the world like stealing, lying, and nutty behaviour found in riot videos. However, you get to see people for who they really are: Jealous people, conceited people, sad people, and angry people. It doesn't inspire too much confidence -_-

Is there a time to "live life on the edge"? Of course there is! However, one should ask (1) If someone I care about does the same thing, will I encourage or warn them? (2) Will I hope at least one other person is not around to see/hear/smell at any time what I am about to do? (3) Will it hinder my ability to talk to people about a similar subject in the future? These questions are simplistic in some ways, and there are many other questions I could ask, too. At least they are there to get a discussion going, and get your gears working before you do that thing...however extreme!

Speaking of extreme things, I should get back to work! o_O

No comments:

Post a Comment