Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I Was In A Fight

I decided to wait a day for the emotions to die down, and for me to collect my thoughts. It happened so fast, but I am blessed to come out of it pretty much unscathed.

Unlike what the title may suggest, I did not fight anybody on Monday. Some family and friends were concerned for my well-being, and again I want to thank them for their prayers. I am alright, and by alright I mean I can type things like this o_O, and not look like this: o_O.

After work on Monday, which at that time was 4:50pm, I missed the first bus so I waited about ten minutes for the late bus. I arrived at the bus stop for the next bus around 5:25pm; I was wearing shades, but I try not to make obvious eye contact with anyone as I look for a seat. I found one next to a teenage girl asleep by the window, and sat down next to her. I did notice a young, gruff individual (combatant #1) in the next row behind me, nevertheless as I usually do I whip out my Nintendo DS and play Dr. Mario to pass the time (Hi Evelyn...I'm practicing ^_^ Sorry...)

I'm not completely in my seat, as the bag I'm carrying is heavy. So when another gruff dude walking towards the back of the bus (combatant #2), I hoist my bag out of the way and onto my lap to let him pass. He sat down in the middle of the back row, while combatant #1 sat at the right window seat with an empty seat between them, and another lady seated opposite him by the left window. How does this look, Phil? Okay...Lady, empty seat, combatant #2, empty seat, combatant #1.

Seconds into the bus ride, combatant #1 thinks #2 is giving him a weird look; I know this because he immediately asks #2 "What are you looking at?" (I'm paraphrasing). #2 claims he isn't looking at #1, but #1 is already angered. The back and forth continued between them, and some of the passengers are already telling #2 to just go to the front of the bus while others are yelling to the bus driver. Unfortunately, #2 is still sitting down, and #1 is standing over him. What makes things worse is I'm stuck in my seat thanks to #1 o_O, so I lean out of the way and nudge the sleeping teenager out of her slumber O_O

Suddenly, #1 takes a swing at #2, and the punches start flying! People are screaming, the lady in the back row is reaching out her hands to stop them from punching, and other passengers are calling the police on their cell phones, and running away to the front of the bus! I could just stand up, but both dudes are leaning in my direction. Worst case scenario: If the fight escalates, they could take the fight into my spot, and the lady and the girl next to me could be in danger! Plus, #1 could be armed! So, being six foot four I lean towards the girl, who is already crouched in her seat, to shield her from any potential blows. I might have caught something below my right shoulder, but then again it could be the results of sitting in the uncomfortable chairs of public transportation, who knows? o_O

Seconds later, #2 stops swinging and there is blood all over his face. The bus stops, and #1 takes off and runs into a nearby park. #2, who is fuming and bleeding, tries to stop the cuts on his forehead by applying pressure with his T-shirt. I help the lady and the girl off the bus with the others, and then being the hat collector I am I find #2's hat and give it to him. While the bus driver and #2 wait for the ambulance, the rest of us passengers wait a minute or two for the next bus to take us to the terminal. The whole thing lasted about three minutes or so, and afterward no one spoke about it.

I did see the drowsy teenage girl walking about the shopping mall later that evening, but I didn't talk to her and ask if she was alright. Thankfully, no one else was hurt in the incident, but now some of the people that take that bus are afraid #1 might show up and cause more trouble!

I thought bad behaviour on buses only happened in YouTube videos, which I will not provide links to here >_< In the midst of all that random swinging and screaming and maybe getting a tap below the shoulder blade, there was something or someone in control, because I was able to "sleep walk" through something that would, under normal circumstances, make me flail my arms and run in circles like a child. Therefore, the question for me becomes "where does that ability to control your actions, know precisely what almost everyone is doing, keep your blood pressure down, and sit next to a big time brawl on a bus come from?"

My answer is God, and that's it. I'm sure if I didn't believe in God, I might have a longer explanation and more confusing "what if" scenarios running through my head, but God kept me at peace through the whole thing. Given I am the same dude that yells at the television while watching NFL Films specials and historical dramas, I think it's strange I didn't say or do anything wacky, and everyone is safe. This was a really humbling experience. Thanks for reading, and for checking up on me ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment