Sunday, July 8, 2012

Birthday Blahs

My Kind of Place: Instead of berating you for being
single on your 30th birthday, the Danes give you
heartfelt speeches, songs, and pepper mills (ACHOO!)
My thirtieth birthday is coming soon; no, I'm not going to tell you which day it is o_O Unlike in previous birthdays, I feel really upset about it. All day I thought about what tangible difference I made in the world up to this point, and I couldn't think of anything. Yes, there are great family and good friendships forged along the way, and sound advice I followed that kept me from serious harm or worse; as undeserving as I am for all these things and more, I am blessed by God and thankful to Him for all that I have. However, I feel I took more than I gave in return.

This could be the realization I lived a sheltered and selfish life, and I should undergo a thorough life examination, overhaul the life I live, and seek objective, professional help, or perhaps some of what I call ordinary and everyday happenings are actually life-changing and thought provoking moments for others? I would be selfish to demand answers from others, so instead I hope this would spark a discussion about ways each person can realize their potential and opportunities by making a difference in the lives of the people around them.

To lighten the mood, I am studying the internet for ways cultures around the world celebrate one's 30th birthday.


  1. In Germany, a single 30 year-old man receives a broom from his friends. He then sweeps away all the ashes and dust off of his front step, which his friends place beforehand, only for his friends to mess it up again.
  2. In Denmark, thirty year old single men and women receive pepper mills as gifts o_O They are also seated at tables for six hours surrounded by family and friends, who regale them with speeches and songs between meal courses.
  3. One online source suggests giving 30 year old men beer and whiskey making kits. Dear friends: Don't give me any homemade alcohol kits, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment