Thursday, February 7, 2013

An Antarctic Romance



They fired the last flare into the air an hour ago. All they have left in that shabby tent are a couple ofTblankets, an empty skillet, their clothes and each other. Sitting beside each other for warmth, one turns to the other, and says…
“It’s so cold!”
“It’s alright, honey.”
“I wonder if they saw the flare? That was the last one.”
“It doesn’t matter now; we did all we could.”
“I’m scared.”
“There, there. It’s alright.”
“Sniff, you probably think I’m such a baby?”
“No, I don’t think that at all.”
“I’m sorry I brought you here.”
“Don’t be sorry. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.”
“I didn’t imagine it would all end like this.”
“I am safest in your arms, darling.”
“How can you say that?”
“I just did.”
“Honey, I…”
“Shh, everything will be fine. Just hold me back, alright?”
“Alright.”
“Thank you.”
“Heh, for what?”
“For you; for everything.”
“Heh, thank you.”
“I love you.”
“I love you, too.”
“Wait, did you hear that? I don’t believe it! It’s them! You’re right, they saw the flare! Hey! HEY! OVER HERE! They see us! They are coming over. Everything is going to be alright, honey. We’re safe now, honey. Honey? Honey…”

No comments:

Post a Comment