Saturday, March 5, 2011

What Makes Me Laugh, Part 2

Last week, I started chanting while at a Christian youth quiz meet in town during a game, but I couldn't remember where I got it from. All I kept saying was...

"BORK BORK BORK!"

I told my friend Kurtis, and he knew right away where it was from: The Swedish Chef. The Scandinavian Muppet in the chef's hat, thick moustache, and giant nose, who introduced every short cooking stint with a song and the ceremonial tossing of cooking utensils. Pretty much all weekend I looked old Muppets videos on YouTube of the cooking clown, and laughed hysterically.

Keep in mind, he didn't speak a word of Swedish during comic routine, but from his linguistic jibberish you could tell what he was planning on cooking. Whether it was "turtelly soupie" or "Svedish Meatabawls", the food would either get away or explode (Vegetarians FTW).



In today's politically correct everything era of television, I wonder if the Swedish Chef or any non-animal Muppet would make it on television. Would Waldorf and Statler give Jeff Maher a run for his money? What in the world is a Gonzo? As for me, I didn't think Swedes were anything like the Chef; I grew up watching Mats Sundin captain the Toronto Maple Leafs, and he was nothing like the Jim Henson inspired puppet on The Muppet Show.





In the end, the Swedish Chef was part of a kids show I watched when I was a kid. Like LOST or Seinfeld, it gave us laughs, thrills, and spills, and then went off the air. As I got older I learned about the world around me, and I could see things for what they are supposed to be, and learned you can't generalize based on assumptions and whatnot. Swedish Chef was good for a laugh, it brought back memories of a bygone part of my life, but now it's time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment