Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween and the Loner

I never had both. I was too young, and then I was too old.

Every year in grade school, the kids went above and beyond in their preparations for the Big Day: Anti-Christmas aka Halloween. Kids decorating the classroom with fake cobwebs, white sheets on the chairs, black pointed hats on the coat racks, and orange jugs of candy EVERYWHERE. Conversation would arise about what each kid would wear for the Big Day: Witch, ghost, princess, baseball player, witch, princess, hockey player, princess, Confederate soldier (don't ask), princess, soccer player, princess, and so on. Finally, it was my turn to tell the world my Big Day surprise; the class of about thirty were on the edge of their seats in eager anticipation of what I would say in that circle, and to everyone's surprise I would not wear a costume.

It wasn't a surprise, really. My family was "odd" that way: We were Christians, and Halloween was not worth "celebrating". If October 31st was a weekday, my sisters and I had the day off not because we were sick, but because our parents knew what the school planned for the day and would not allow for us to participate. The most we did was hand out candy on Halloween Night, and we had the reputation of being HIP and funny.

Now that I am older, my parents left it up to me to decide if Halloween is worth celebrating, and while I was left out of the party I studied the history of Halloween to find out what the Big Day was about. The attraction was the candy, the costumes, and the ghost stories I learned about as a kid. The history comes from pagans believing spirits would dish out calamity or "tricks" unless you gave them "treats" as they travelled from door to door the day before "All Saints' Day" on November 1st. When I discovered this, I realized I wasn't crazy! My parents had a good reason for keeping me out of the Halloween hype! However, this came at a price.

Why am I writing this blog right now knowing my friends are out there having a good time, regardless of what day it is? Why am I dressed head to toe in my light blue Adidas track suit in my room, when my friends are dressed head to toe in various costumes partying the night away? Why am I asking open-ended rhetorical questions to finish my blog? Who got the treat, and who was tricked?

No comments:

Post a Comment